Wednesday, April 05, 2006

race

Yesterday I saw something really simple, but I loved it. I was walking around the Waterford Lakes Town Center heading over to Old Navy when I heard some commotion. I looked behind me and saw that a family (a dad, mom and little girl) was racing to their car with these big smiles on their faces. The mom won and cheered when she tagged the car first. It was so great. It immediately made me think how great it will be when/if I have a family of my own and can do things like that.

I also realized that that was probably the best part of that family's day. Whatever they bought at Waterford couldn't compare to the joy I'm sure they felt in that moment. It reminds me how we are created for relationships. I had spent the day unsuccessfully shopping for new furniture (conclusion: I don't like shopping) and decided that the coolest looking living room ever wouldn't really make me happy. What I want and truly need are valuable relationships. And the relationship I'll experience the most joy from is the one I have with God. What strikes me as crazy is that I was willing to drive all over Orlando looking for a couch, but have a hard time spending 10 minutes in prayer talking to God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool story. Hope my family races me to the car. Especially the kids. I can win if I'm racing kids.

As for the prayer thing -- This is how I deal with that:

I say to myself "If I had a huge leather couch to lay on, I'd totally pray to God more than 10 minutes a day".

That doesn't work, by the way. But I still do it. HEAVY SIGH.

Side thought: Does this mean you're going back to the old couch?

Anonymous said...

For the time being I'm just going to leave our furniture as it is. So the dog couch lives on. I at least picked up a plant, clock and picture frame to make the room look somewhat better.

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I love the dog couch.