Tuesday, August 08, 2006

a friendly reminder


Tonight I got to talk to my friend Jessica. (She is the girl in the picture to the left. It's a picture from high school...check out how high my sock is on my right leg!) Although camp is over, some things from the summer have been lingering in my mind and when I was sharing them with her I was reminded that I have a tendency to dwell on things too much. So we got to reminiscing about some high school memories and I was cracking up.

One summer we decided to enter this contest that AMC Theatres held asking students to submit short films that encouraged kids not to drink. I don't remember exactly whose idea it was (unfortunately probably mine), but we taped a parody of Speed with our friends as our entry into the competition. The plot went something like this: Kevin had placed a bomb under bus 2526 (actually Jess's Chevy Astro mini-van with a piece of posterboard taped to it) and it was up to Guy to save the day. Guy arrived to the bus, but faced a challenge because Imee and Danny were drunk and wouldn't listen to him. Fortunately, Sober Girl (Jessica) was on the bus and heard Guy's cries. She acted quickly and saved everyone from the scary bomb (actually fireworks we bought down the street). The moral of the story: Don't get drunk because you never know when someone might put a bomb under the Chevy Astro you're hanging out in.

I am proud to say that I was the director of this masterpiece. Shockingly, we never received any acknowledgement from AMC that they received our prized video. I like to think that the AMC executives bring it out on special occassions or watch it as a stress reliever when things get hairy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for remembering that I was Sober Girl! Even though we were just talking about it a few hours ago, I totally cracked up reading it. I just may have to link to this in my blog :) And I got to remember what my room looked like in high school - I used to be so proud of all the stuff on the wall behind us. Do you see the rocket hanging behind Guy's head? That thing survived being launched in the middle of the track and I still have it at my mom and dad's house - I won't let them get rid of it, it's too sentimental! Now that's another great story!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't hold out... Post this video online!

Jason said...

dear anonymous,

if i could find the video and figure out how to upload it, i'd be all for it. but it's on all old super 8 tape and i'm clueless.