Friday, October 24, 2008

unexpected

tonight i found myself with an unexpected free evening. i was planning on going to the high school football game, but the day's rain postponed the game until monday. i eventually found myself browsing the walls of blockbuster looking for something fun to watch. i narrowed my choices down to charlie wilson's war, a spanish movie called la misma luna and dan in real life. i wasn't completely sold on charlie wilson's war, i felt like keeping up with the subtitles of la misma luna would be too much work for a friday night, and although i'd seen dan in real life when it was in theaters, all i could really remember about it was that i liked it. so dan in real life came home with me.

if you haven't seen it, i definitely recommend it. i've been pretty tired lately. a bit worn out and grumpy, too. things are fine overall, but i haven't completely felt like myself. i got to go on vacation last week and visit my cousin jeremy, his wife(my cousin-in-law) kierstin and their son (my nephew cousin) eli in tennessee. it was a much needed and enjoyable rest filled with good conversation, good laughs, good music and really good food. a refreshing time. i always love being with that part of my family.

i mention that because i think it helps (me, at least) make sense of why this movie got to me the way it did. in one scene, there is a family talent show. the two brothers perform the song, "let my love open the door":



i know i've heard this song before, but i heard it differently tonight. i felt as though the words "let my love open the door" were being sung to me by God. a reminder to not close myself off from Him. while i was in tennessee i came across John 14:1, where Christ says, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." i guess my heart has been troubled lately and it hasn't really been open to God. i've been trusting myself more than anything.

after the movie, i looked up the lyrics to the song and here is what i found:

When people keep repeating
That you'll never fall in love
When everybody keeps retreating
But you can't seem to get enough
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart

When everything feels all over
When everybody seems unkind
I'll give you a four-leaf clover
Take all the worry out of your mind
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart

I have the only key to your heart
I can stop you falling apart
Try today, you'll find this way
Come on and give me a chance to say
Let my love open the door

It's all I'm living for
Release yourself from misery
Only one thing's gonna set you free
That's my love

Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart

When tragedy befalls you
Don't let them bring you down
Love can cure your problem
You're so lucky I'm around
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
Let my love open the door
To your heart


pete townshend is the name of the guy who wrote the song. i don't know anything about him personally, but despite some of the lyrics being a little cheesy, i feel like these are words that the Savior could have written, especially when it says, "Release yourself from misery. Only one thing's gonna set you free. That's my love." it was a great reminder to me that the Lord has given me a new heart and that the only place to put my trust is in Him. the last place i expected to be reminded of that truth was in this movie. glad that game got postponed.

2 comments:

kelly said...

Jason, I LOVED that movie and LOVED that song. I immediately downloaded it. Actually, I downloaded a version from a group called The Grass Cats....thoroughly enjoyable.

I hadn't thought of it being a love song from God. Now I will.

Jason said...

i will have to check out that version. thanks for the tip.