Tuesday, February 14, 2006

mid winter 06

I cheated on Circle F this past weekend and went to another camp. For the 3rd year, I went on the Mid Winter retreat with just under 50 of the middle school kids from church and a handful of leaders. I always look forward to this weekend. One of the reasons is because I get to be a camper for a few days and not be the one worried about everything going just right. It's also great to spend a significant amount of time with the kids and form better relationships with them.

The worship band was particularly great this year. (Check out Tenth Avenue North for more info on that group.) Middle schoolers know how to have a good time worshipping in song and I think we can learn a lot from them. I am not much of a clapper when it comes to singing during a regular church worship service, but when it's a group of 300+ middle schoolers and their leaders, my clapping is pretty much on cruise control. Because those guys have fun with it and just get into it. I wish praising God in song was always that enjoyable. But for some reason I find myself more self-conscious about "getting into it" at church.

In between the singing and games involving squirt guns filled with mouthwash, we had some good lessons. A lot of it was stuff I'd heard before, but I can always use a reminder. The idea that stuck with me the most was the fact that we are all part of a big story - God's story. What an amazing thought it is to me that we get to play supporting roles in His story. God loves me enough to use me? Really? Me?

Another story I am a big fan of is the Harry Potter series. I thoroughly enjoyed the most recently published 6th book, but the last lines of it are my favorite:

"We'll be there, Harry," said Ron.

"What?"

"At your aunt and uncle's house," said Ron. "And then we'll go with you wherever you're going."

"No-" said Harry quickly; he had not counted on this, he had meant them to understand that he was undertaking this most dangerous journey alone.

"You said to us once before," said Hermione quietly, "that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"

"We're with you whatever happens," said Ron.


When I read that closing I remember thinking, "I'll be there, too, Harry, and I can't wait! What a great story this author has written!" It was then that I realized these books speak to a part of us all. We all want to be part of a big adventure. That same day I wrote in my journal:

We want to be part of something big, something epic, something that matters. And then I think about what it means to be a Christian and realize that if you are truly living as a Christian, then you are doing all of these things. And that's something to be so pumped about.

We, I especially, love to read and watch these stories about people risking their lives for the things that matter most to them. So why is it so hard for me to take non life-threatening risks for what matters to me? That's what hit me this weekend. That I don't put enough trust in the freedom God has given us. I can screw up and He's not going to love me any less for it. I know He's given this freedom to us, but I guess part of me just hasn't completely accepted it. How can I take for granted that we get to be a part of this mind-blowing story?! After this weekend I do feel more confident in it. And my prayer is that I'll be more excited to trust in Christ and take risks for Him than I will be to pick up the next Harry Potter book.

No comments: