Tuesday, February 07, 2006

the nickname king

Warning: If you watch Lost and aren't caught up with the 2nd season, this entry contains spoilers.

Monday nights are good. I meet with my LIFE Group of fellow youth group leaders and we share the concerns and successes we experience with the kids we work with. When Paul mentioned to me that we were going to start this group I thought it was a great idea, but what I thought made it an even better idea was his suggestion that we watch Lost together on a weekly basis. Because the group that prays together and attempts to figure out the mysteries of the island stays together. And cookies, cheesecake or any other dessert item only makes it better.

Last night we gathered around Paul's laptop (we're a dedicated bunch) to watch the further adventures of our favorite castaways. The two episodes that we watched were really good. We got our first real look at the island monster, witnessed what EW dubbed a "little Jungle U.N. Summitt," and were the fortunate recipients of several quality one-liners from Sawyer. I'm not sure whether or not I would really like someone like Sawyer if I were stuck on an island with him, but I love his character. Calling Locke Mr. Clean and telling him that all he was missing was the mop and earring? Classic.

But my favorite line of the episode took place when Jack, Locke and Sawyer were tracking Michael's trail into the jungle. The dialogue went something like this:

Locke:"Does any of this look familiar to you?"
Sawyer: "Oh, yeah, there's my favorite leaf right there!"

At that moment I couldn't have been happier to have Sawyer back in the game after being stuck in a bed for several episodes.

Lost has quickly become one of my favorite shows. I have been a fan of all things J.J. Abrams (one of the show's creators), even before Lost came around. I remember when it hit big and suddenly he became the go-to guy for lots of productions. He was approached for the new Superman movie, but has ended up directing the new Mission:Impossible that comes out in May. I felt like people were finally figuring out what I had known since Alias (another show he created) started. I proudly own every season of that show and am even a fan of his old WB show Felicity. Okay, I have that show on DVD, too. Yeah, I know, it's a bit of a girly show, but there are great characters on that show, just like Lost. (It also doesn't hurt that Keri Russell is in it.) That's what this guy does best. He creates great characters and puts them in fascinating situations. And I am happy to go along for the ride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While the nicknames are truly my favorite thing about Sawyer, I have to say the phrase "verbal copulation" is hard to beat!
I agree, Monday nights ARE good.
Glad you're a part of them.

Jason said...

agreed. it doesn't get much funnier than that.